View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Pooh-bah post: A general guide for aspiring online poker players

I was interested in your views regarding bankroll when changing from level to level. First, I noticed an unusual nomenclature whereby you describe a 1/2 cents NLHE game as NL5. Does this mean a game in which the maximum bankroll permitted is $5.00 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ? I've changed the numbers a bit, but this would be an existing table at PokerStars, which also happens to have a minimum bankroll of $1.00.

You were also vague regarding whether your bankroll is based on the minimum or maximum bankroll required for NLHE. Which is it?

I liked the idea that you'd move up in limits when you had 30 buyins for NL, and drop levels when you had 10 buyins. Am I to assume you mean, for example, to move upwards from 1/2 cents NL (max. buyin at $5.00) when you had 30 x $5.00 = $150 bankrolled? Or do you view the buyin for 2/5 cents NL ($10), the next level? Hence, you could move up only when you had 30 x $10 = $300.

I'd been thinking I'd move up when my bankroll had grown to 1,000 BBs for the next higher level. So, in the case of moving from 1/2 cents NL to 2/5 cents NL I'd have to have 1,000 x 2 cents to sit down originally at the 1/2 cents NL game ($20), and I'd consider a move up to 2/5 cents NL only after I had bankroll up to 1,000 x 5 cents ($50).

Perhaps you could illustrate your thoughts with an example. Please? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Dave