View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Who to keep (baseball)?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
agreed. ditch ryan and watch how teams like boston react to their bullpen situation. odds are piniero will win the job, and based solely on who he plays for, will have similar save totals.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that ryan is probably the right guy to drop, but the idea that pineiro can be forecast for a similar fantasy value to ryan is ludicrous.

IF pineiro wins the job out of spring training and IF he stays healthy and IF he is effective enough to close (which he has not been for his entire career) and IF he is never removed from the role at any point in the season, he will still be expected to get fewer saves than ryan, and still produce much worse numbers in K, ERA, and WHIP.

closers are not one-category players, and unproven "closers" are favored to lose their jobs at some point during the season.

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt say he was going to have similar era/k/whip numbers, i said he would have similar save numbers. and i said "watch a team like boston", teams that don't have set closers. if you had done that last year, you would have had the best closer in baseball for the majority of the season.

i'd bet more people are going to keep sp's and offensive players than closers regardless, so there will be more opportunity to replace bj ryan than there would to replace holliday.