View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Hockey vs. NASCAR/Golf

Well it would help if hockey was actually on a TV network that doesn't require you to buy some $234924893 package with a channel I would never watch for any other reason to see it. I actually don't know why hockey isn't more popular. Probably because nobody plays it and so it is hard to understand the game. Plus there are lots of canadians and euros which never goes down well with us.
Nobody watches golf either unless it's tiger woods or a major. Golf is only entertaining when there is drama, but it is an excellent sport for that purpose. I love golf but I couldn't care less about half the tournaments each year and the other half only mean something to me if tiger is playing. I don't even care about all four majors, if tiger is not in contention I will basically only watch the masters, US Open, and maybe the british open if it is other big names, oh, and the ryder cup. I mean, honestly, if tiger is not in the tournament, it's basically like watching minor league golf, and watching minor league sports on TV is stupid.
I don't understand nascar. I have given the sport a chance in the last couple weeks and can't get through more than 30 laps without wanting to do something else. Maybe I will turn it on at the end of the race, but for the most part I don't care who wins either. Everything I have ever heard says that going to a race is like the greatest sporting experience ever, but I just don't get it on TV. It would be boring anyway but I never really feel like I know everything that's going on in the race which makes it even less entertaining, despite the fact that I think they do a pretty good job for a most part with the TV coverage. I don't really see how it would be much more entertaining even if I understood more about the sport, since you only ever see about 5% of what goes on in a race anyway. In football you have the great catch, the big hit, the sick run. What do you have in nascar? "Oh my god, Harvick made a sick, sick wedge adjustment on that last pit stop! He was fighting looseness in turn 3 before but those tires are getting maximum grip now! Look at him pass those cars, he's moved from 11th to 8th in 2 laps, what a great run for him today, this will really help him in the points standings!"