View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Draw Comments Can Go Here

From you, I am extatic to see anything B- or up.

Many of these misconception are from players that I "coach" personally, IE people who will teach me some hold em' in exchange for draw help, and another thing which I don't really want to get into.

I thought the full title of the article said Limit.

As for not educating the fish, I have talked with many people about this, and one person brought up that super system was supposed to destroy the poker games when it just made them juicier. Anyway, if someone posted these question in the forum SOMEONE would have answered them.

Capping with trips --- yes, but fold your KK against someone who only plays AA in hold 'em. I could have explained more about how this is player dependant, and draw can be a player dependant game. All of poker is. It seemed that 2+2ers would know that. I think if this is article 2 in how to play draw, always take detailed notes is in article 1.

Of course never bluffing is bad, but very few players bluff just enough. Again, maybe I could have reworded it about how to find an equlibrium about bluffing (i wrote a horrendous article about just this which I have shown to nobody).

To number 3 about tourneys... you know they're not coinflips, and yes there is variance... well you know. I'm not sure you're criticizing so much as expanding what I said. How come the first time you final tabled you won, Tom Bayes? Because you're a really good draw player. I know oyu know that but if you have luck enough to get to the final table, then you are probably skilled enough to win, especially against only the 6 people left. If sure you do recall someone posting that "there is always a really good chance a competent player can win" and someone else posting hands with huge mistakes who also went on to win.

The target audience is people who have read Wisenberg 101 but are still struggling or not sure on how to deal with certain situations. In the original Wiesenberg article he mentions to fold small 2 pair and reraise Jacks up. it's easy to miss, but this is something you see that winning players understand but slow winners or losing players have left from their game. There is a difference between making 2bb/100 and 5bb/100 and a lot of these details are about value bets that, besides my personal "coaching" (really just some ghosting) students, many players do not make.

All these things are from my own experience, and I chose each point from complaints made to me by beginning or barely intermediate draw players.

As for the hard games: At least when I have played higher stakes draw I have done well against good players. The win rate is lower, and the games go slower, but even without a donk at the table you can outplay people. You have to be up against the 5 best players of draw to simply be losing to rake... I know a few top draw players who won't play the higher stakes games, and one who says that they are full of it and aren't adjusting their game properly. I think it is somewhere in between, and of course you should look at table selection. When I play high stakes I mix up my game against the right opponents and play standard against others. It works.

I feel like we're arguing for the same thing most of the time. Big Thanks for your comments, though.

Mura