Thread: new PPA Ad
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: new PPA Ad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not sure if this will be advertised on tv or where it will be advertised but they put it on YouTube today

PPA Ad

[/ QUOTE ]

that ad is terrible. it says it's illegal for americans to play online, which is debatable at best. one of the goals of the ppa should be to avoid killing the games that are running now.

also if you were at all undecided about poker i don't think this would make you sympathetic at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The goals of the PPA should be to focus on the long-term and build broader public support for its cause.

You're not thinking about the long term and you're not its target audience. It doesn't need to preach to the choir.

Well, actually it does since it seems to be a ass-backward organization, but that notwithstanding, this ad is a step in the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i misremembered exactly what the ad said, my mistake. it doesn't say it's illegal to play, but it does say (in text on the screen at 0:26):

"it's now illegal for americans to spend money on online poker"

this is not true, or at least not any more true than it was pre UIGEA. it's illegal for whoever is processing the payments, but not illegal for the americans.

i do like this ad a lot more if it's not going to ever be shown to the general public. then starting off with something that is inflamatory like "people like to gamble" seems more ok since the target audience agrees.

but i think it should've used some cuts and soundbite that were longer that 3 seconds to make its point. the biggest thing that it missed imo is the hypocrisy that the government is both "protecting" us from gambling and making money by offering us gambling with way higher rake (i know federal =/= state, but it's still a good point).

the whole thing just came off as very offputting and aggressive with the unsettling music and fast cuts. they could've explained what happened with the safe ports act much more clearly. i highly doubt that an average viewer could watch this once and then explain clearly to a friend how the bill had passed. also, they drop the little soundbite (paraphrasing): "the way to challenge this bill is to show that poker is based on skill and not luck" with no explanation of whether this is even true.

as for the short term / long term, i think both are important. it's possible that the next 6 months is the long term (and only term) for online poker in the us, and i'd rather not see the ppa do anything to make americans feel like the gov't is going to kick down their doors for playing a little, say, 1/2 nlhe 6max on stars.

i also thought it was weird that at 0:51 they show the logos for partypoker.com (makes some sense b/c they were just talking to the ceo), sportingbet.plc and 888.com. makes it seem more like an ad and less like a reasoned argument.