View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Thomas Jones expected to be traded :(

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the bigger concern is what the hell are the Bears doing messing with Briggs---show him the money!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Anybody who falls into this trap are those stupid Bears fans you always talk about. Because he does not deserve to be paid more than Urlacher and shouldn't be.

I'm a bit confused if this is just giving Thomas Jones away. I like Jones alot, but the writing is on the wall, he is gone after next season. I would have no problem getting value for him. But is this really value?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Jones was going to be gone (his contract up I think) after next year
2) Benson was #4 overall pick 2 years ago and Angelo (GM) wants him on the field.
3) Benson only missed 1 game in his college career (concussion). Granted they hit harder in NFL and he's been banged up (at least rookie year).
4) What other teams need a RB still? Denver just signed Henry. Maybe this was best value. Hopefully they have their eye on someone.

The puzzling part is how this relates to the team outlook for '07 and also Briggs. The 2 situations contradict each other:

Jones--going into last year of contract and unhappy about splitting time w/ Benson. So they get rid of him.

Briggs--wants long term deal, Bears franchise knowing they're likely to keep him for '07. He isn't likely to go anywhere.

Bears know they can get back to SuperBowl in '07. Briggs is a big part. But so is(was) Jones IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]