View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Default did i play this right or wrong?

first time poster, glad i found these forums [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

situation- poker tournament, 6 tables, early stages. everyone starts with 2000 chips, blinds 25/50, no antes. big blind is semi aggressive who has yet to win a hand, has been folding with a lot of nonverbal frustration and angst because others have bet/raised before him. i have won a few pots, currently sit around 3900 chips.

semi aggressive is big blind. 1st to act folds, 2nd to act raises to 150. she is conservative, solid player. 3rd folds, me next. i hold k-j off. i have a lot of chips, it is early, so i just call. 5th folds, dealer folds, small folds. big blind goes all in, total bet of 1050. he throws his chips in frustratingly, rolling his eyes (non verbal clues) and looks generally distraught. conservative player who raised considers calling, but folds.

here is my thought process-

i am considered at the tournament as ultra conservative, ultra tight. i have lots of chips, and it is early in tournament. about 6 hands earlier, i figured the first pair aggressive player got was going to go all in. i have him on a lower pair, so i have 2 over cards. i do not have him on a-high kicker, cause he is not the type who would go all in on no pair. i figure if i win, then i have a very good command at the table; if i lose, i am still ahead of where i started at. so i call.

he turns over 10-10, i turn over k-j off. he starts the harassment already, asking how i could possibly call with that. flop comes k-4-j, and he gets loud and livid. nothing happens on turn/river, so he angrily stands up and keeps on the verbal tirade. his final thing was "you are going to make someone at the table very happy if you keep playing like that".

now, as an ultra conservative player, i don't play k-j off much. and i know, obviously, i got lucky on the turn+. however...

was my thought process and decision making good, and i just got lucky? or was my thought process and decision making bad, and i just got lucky?

thanks all, and hope to continue to improve as a player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

neismond