View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Help w/ NYC housing for the Summer?

[ QUOTE ]
i don't suggest the financial district to live if you u plan on going out and enjoying the city and the neighborhood. the financial district is dead after about 6pm, not a lot of people walking around on the streets. wouldn't feel comfortable with my sister walking around by herself late at night down there. i would suggest soho/tribeca if you want to spend a lot to live in a very trendy neighborhood. the west village is a little lower key, also very nice, but expesive.

the east village is a step bellow west village in price, but some like the neighborhood better than the west village. lower east side is also a step cheaper. i would also suggest park slope brooklyn. its just a subway ride away from downtown and a very nice neighborhood. brooklyn heights is also very nice but very expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going out from the financial district isn't too bad cause all the subway lines converge down there, so you can get to most places pretty easily. I worked down there this summer and walked around late at night sometimes and never really felt unsafe. There are enough office buildings around with people working late and cars waiting for them that it doesnt feel that deserted. Also, there's pretty good security around the Fed and NYSE, so I think most of the riff raff would not really want to hang around there.

Other places in NYC have a lot more character, but the financial district isnt a terrible option for a summer.