View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Odds of getting out of jury duty?

[ QUOTE ]
please help me to understand your american justice system. the defense attorney picks the jury?

[/ QUOTE ] No, both attorneys pick the jury. Generally, each attorney gets to strike X number of people from the jury pool for whatever reason. (IE: in a six person jury, you start with 12 people and each attorney gets 3 strikes, after the strikes, you're left with 6 people). The jury pools are chosen randomly. Either attorney can also make a motion to strike a juror for cause (bias, etc.)
[ QUOTE ]
they give you $15/day to be on the jury and no other perks?

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on the state, but renumeration for jurors is generally low. However, to my knowledge, civil servants in almost all states (people who work for the gov't at any level) recieve their normal pay for serving on a jury.
[ QUOTE ]
if you dont respond to their letter, they cant do anything anyway?

[/ QUOTE ] This depends on the state. Many states have civil and criminal penalties. They are probably not usually enforced, but can be.
[ QUOTE ]
what happens if one juror finds the defendant not guilty and the other 11 find him guilty? does the guy get off or is it a redo or what?

[/ QUOTE ] Most states require unanimous verdicts for criminal trials, and majority verdicts for civil trials. This means that all 12 (or 6, or however many it is in that state) have to agree. If after deliberation for a long time they deadlock and cannot agree, a mistrial can be granted, and the trial can be held again.

[ QUOTE ]
it is a fascinatingly dumb system as i understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The dumbest system in the world except for all the other systems in the world I'd expect.