View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

Went to the liquor store today to pick up a Scotch on some recommendations here. My aim was the Oban 14 year, but when I spotted it the pricetag was $60. I'm a real scotch noob, so I really didn't want to jump into anything above $40 quite yet. We kept looking and my friend called his father for some recommendations. I spotted the Bellvanie 12 yr for $41, but his father recommended we start out with McClelland's highland scotch, which was only $24. He basically said any highland would be best for a beginner, so we grabbed the McClellands and some other junk and checked out.

It had a pretty mild aroma from what I can tell (I haven't smelled many other scotches and have tasted even fewer). I poured myself a bit and added some ice. Nothing really spectacular jumped out at me upon tasting and I'm still not really picking anything up. It is pretty mild, so I don't mind drinking it, but other all it is very bleh.

For $24 I guess it's ok, but nothing I would recommend. Not offensive, but not really great. My roomate is a bit more experienced and says it has a nice smokey aftertaste.

Anyone have any recommendations for me? Should I have definitely gone with the Belvanie? I am mainly looking for something that is pretty smooth (at least to start with)but still has some nice flavor