View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: salary negotiation

1) Studies (don't ask me for a reference, but anyone who knows about salary negotiation will agree) have shown that whoever says a number first generally "loses" the negotiation. Not clear why, but it appears to be an empircal fact..... so don't say a number first. (but make sure you do your research)

2) There is an optimal time for salary negotiation. If you bring it up too early, you are an unkown, and not worth it, if you bring it up too late, they already know they have you and you're at their mercy...... you must negotiate whn your bargaining position is the highest.... this is basically once they've gotten to know you, they've realized you're good, and they're thinking "we must have you" but you have not agreed to take the job yet.

There are tons of books that cover this. One that springs to mind is "What Color is Your Parachute" - the 2007 is out... and this book is good in general if you're looking for a job or carreer.

basically, i guess i'm agreeing w/ op

also don't forget that before you negotiate salary you should also know exactly what the job entails - this means you'll usually have to clarify a few things