View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: NL200 | KK, Ace high coordinated board, Tough Opponent

This is somewhat dependent on how you normally play, but I generally check here. I think it is really close, though, and betting is certainly okay.

This is effectively a WA/WB situation. While this is a lot more clear on a dry board, I think it is still the case here. Against a thinking LAG/TAG opponent, we are only getting to showdown if this is WA/WB. If he has a strong draw such as an OESD, FD, or a combo draw we are probably going to get blown off of our hand if he C/Rs the flop or leads the turn. Our hand simply can't stand up to much pressure from any range of hands he will raise with.

Any other hand he is behind with, he is drawing to 5 outs at most (an 8 or a 7), but even more likely he is drawing to 2 outs for a PP or runners with JQ, etc. I like to check behind on the flop, call a bet on the turn, and most likely check down the riv. If he fires again on the river, we probably have to fold without a specific read.

While the board is somewhat wet, our hand is not strong enough to stand up to any pressure a LAG/TAG will put on us with a strong draw if we bet out, so I am okay with giving a free card here to the part of his range that has a strong draw. The rest of his range, small pairs, SCs, Ax, etc are either WA or WB.

From a metagame standpoint, I am able to do this because I check behind here with an ace a large enough percentage of the time, that I don't think we are giving our hand away. Note that I am much more likely to bet 99-JJ here than KK.