View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Leeching neighbor\'s WIFI for disconnect protection

I have the two cable modems because I need the two separate connections, not for backup purposes.

I have no idea why I can't get DSL. They tell me you need to be within 18000 feet of the central office, and according to google maps I'm only 3.0 miles away. I don't know much about DSL, but from what I understand the signal strength gets lower the farther you are away from the office, but does it become totally unusable if you're slightly too far away, or does the signal drop off more slowly? I'd be willing to pay for it even if the connection quality is lower than they would normally sell, but I don't think they will even hook it up. I think a broadband wireless card is my only other option, but that is like $80/mo, plus $100+ for the card, with a 2yr contract required, when I only need it for maybe one hour a month to finish up sessions when my cable goes out. I really need a backup connection, but that is a lot of money for something I'll hardly ever use. So back to my original question, does anyone have ideas about how I can boost my connectivity to my neighbor's router?