View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: How much is a degree from a low level law school worth? (and more ?s)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're less important than you might think. The law firm you are currently at is often the biggest factor, plus if you've developed expertise in an unusual area they need. When my wife switched at the 4 year point, grades were never mentioned, but the fact she had worked in a contract position (non-partnership track) for one of the top law firms in the region was all important. That and her specialty area. She interviews very well too. Grades and school may only come into it in a close situation. I've never heard her say any lateral they were considering was dependent on school or grades. Prior big firm experience is usually the big factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your year. After 5th year or so, no one even asks about grades. But I know a 3rd year who's trying to lateral and she's being rejected from some firms because of grades.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grades can often be an excuse for other, less PC reasons. Like they checked around her current firm doesn't like her. Actually saying that can get you a libel suit, blaming it on grades is bulletproof. Then there are the usual illegal excuses like sex, weight, age, pregnancy, etc. Again, grades are bulletproof.

Any firm that looks at your grades after you doing three years of real work is probably not a firm you want to work at anyway.