View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Absolute Morality

[ QUOTE ]

Very hard to predict, I doubt you can even if its deterministic. Yes, I have no more choice over my morality then any other aspect of my nature but knowing that doesn't help you with anything.

What has any of this to do with morality. Yes I will behave the way I'm evolved to behave given the life I have led -that's just a truism but so what?

This doesn't seem to be about morality at all. Why not tackle one of DS's problems with your methodology and let's see the meat. I haven't answered the cat in the microwave - you predict what I believe is right and why.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying that there is a predictable framework behind moral behavior, and teaching people this predictable framework will allow them to more knowledgeable moral choices regardless of their moral perspective. When people are equally informed they make similar moral choices - which is what creating an absolute form of morality is all about (something everyone can agree on). I am preaching that people need as much information as possible so that morality can have a shot at being standardized. This also involves understanding the inherent structure of ethical and moral decision making - because there is one, I've written papers showing that structure to moral and ethical dilemma's does exist, I can make a very solid argument for it. My contention is that choice is based on knowledge, and once you give people equal amounts of knowledge, and as much as possible, you see standards of behavior that develop. The more knowledge that these standards are based on, the more uniform they eventually become (consider this process to be a natural selection of ideas, and the human mechanism that weeds out the weak ideas is curiosity).

What is one of DS's problems anyway? And you know I can't predict your opinion on a moral subject, because I don't really know you. Don't try and shove that point in my face, because both you and I know it's invalid. You're better than using a cheap tactic like that.