View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: My Thoughts on Poker (long but good)

Alright if the Mods don't mind I think I'm just going to bump this whenever I think of something that I consider to be worthwhile.

Going back to my OP I have a lot of fairly good strategy thoughts about poker but I feel that isn't as important as having a good mindset.

One thing I've started to realize is that too often people expect the best players in the world to have some sick moves. Obviously they make very good bluffs/calls etc. especially at the highstakes nl short handed games. Now this does not apply nearly as much when I'm talking about HU/3 handed so ignore it.

But when talking about 6max-full ring games and tournaments a lot of the stuff good players do is very simple. You could probably watch them play and not even notice them doing anything special but often it's doing simple things correctly that makes a huge difference. I remember when I first started learning poker I'd see stuff like fold AJ and my reaction was pftttttt well I want to be a great player I just can't go around being a by the book tag.

Now right now I am def not a by the book tag but the fact that people have the mindset I mentioned above means often making standard abc plays is what makes someone a good player.

I am by no means suggesting people play like standard by the book tags(well except in sngs)but that point I am making is that often the ability to make the "standard" correct play is what gives us an edge.