View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Tips for reading NLTP

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on how I should read NLTP. In my opinion, its approach is quite mathematical (which I like, as I come from a limit poker and master in maths background), but I'm struggling with the following: in a lot of sections, the author makes assumptions like: 'if the chance of your only opponent betting is 30%, you should ...; however, if it's 60% or more, you should ... instead'. How I am supposed to know what my opponents tendencies are? I haven't seen most players I play against online, as I'm new to NL, so therefore, I'm a bit lost when these assumptions are made.

Don't get me wrong, it all makes sense, but usually after reading a section which starts with the given assumption, I don't have a clue what to remember, that is, what I should do against an unknown opponent. I understand the book is focussed on maximizing a players profit, but I am a bit clueless when I don't know how to fill in the prerequisites needed to make a decision as described in certain sections.

Any ideas are very welcome. Thanks guys.