View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: The \"Lining up jobs\" Thread, 2007

[ QUOTE ]
do any actuarial consulting firms interview there?

[/ QUOTE ] Not to my knowledge. I had kind of put all my chips into some sort of management consulting position. But having a few months off before finding something to do isn't the end of the world. I just feel kind of let down by all the [censored] you hear in high school/college about how you have plenty of time to decide what to do and it doesn't really matter, you should just do what you want right now, etc. I [censored] did that and now it's biting me in the ass. I really wish I had just gone and been a math/finance double major.

I will definitely sign up/study for the first couple actuarial exams and try to get a job for the fall.

And here's an opportunity I've been loath to take up so far: my dad is president of a very small trnasportation engineering consultancy. I suspect the reason he wants me to do management consulting is so I can get an MBA and eventually take over some day. The vice president (other principal) seems to really want me to work for them now. I've always kind of wanted to get off on my own though, and I feel like a privileged [censored] for taking up something like this. (note that I DO know the industry extemely well, and I have done very well working for them in the past.) I'm pretty sure that's why my dad doesn't want me to specialize in some business operation (actuary, finance etc).

That opportunity is looking more appealing by the day.