View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: The \"Lining up jobs\" Thread, 2007

agreed. if they don't interview on your campus, the chances are very slim. i'd have thought a few mid-level firms would interview there, but originally i thought you had a 4.0 in math, which is another beast entirely. econ at a state school just isn't THAT tough to where that can make you competitive with those who went to tougher schools.
that said, do any actuarial consulting firms interview there? I know Georgia State has a large actuarial program that feeds into a lot of the Atlanta offices, so you might want to check into some of their career fairs and so on. That said, the earliest you could get an act. consulting job would probably be sept/oct...you'd have to pass P in May, and then you'd have a shot.

Note that some actuaries are not good personality-wise, and this leaves some room for people who are "not good at interviews" to get jobs. I'd say I am pretty good at interviewing, and several people I interviewed with(meaning kids going for the same jobs, they bring in 5 per interview day) were very awkward, however if you can work behind the computers there's a place for you.

Without exams passed, it's hard to tell if you can actually do this though.

The great thing about actuarial consulting is exams can make up for a low GPA or lower school attended.(I had a very low GPA, but go to a very hard school that isn't quite "nationally" known)