View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: This business of adjusting to the ante structure

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is probably an issue of semantics. However, I do not see it as a matter of "antes will eat you up". Instead, it is more of a matter of playing more hands because they are positive EV due to the bigger starting pot. Those same hands with a smaller pot to begin with (smaller antes) may not be positive EV in the lower limits.

Playing more hands does not necessarily solve the problem of the antes you lose on the hands you don't play. Otherwise, one would say to play every single hand, then you don't have to worry about losing any antes. So I'd like to look at it in terms of playing more hands in the higher limits because the pot is bigger and the EV is there to make it right to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately King, this whole thread seems do be an issue of "semantics". No rational player would claim that the size of the antes shouldn't change your strategy AT ALL early in hands, but most of the disagreement is on the DEGREE of difference. I like the way you look at the situation, since your pot odds (or more specifically your implied pot odds) always tell you if you're getting the right price or not. The larger the pot, the more correct it is to chase if you think you don't have the best hand, or to raise out possible chasers if you think you may have the best hand. In fact, if your skill is so far above the others at your table, then you should be willing to play a little on the loose side and take slightly the worst of it vs. the starting pot in order to stay in more hands and give your opponents more chances to make horrible mistakes against you. Otherwise, they will just end up pushing chips back and forth among themselves until they're all raked away.