View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Will I learn anything worthwhile from \"play money\" games??

[ QUOTE ]
Hi folks - my first post here - great site.

I'm a total newbie to poker. I've been reading, surfing, watching poker TV and had my first home game last week (and yes, folks argued about the rules!). Will stick with Hold'em.

I've signed-up to PokerRoom.com for play money only. Been playings limit; NL and freeroll tourneys.

But it's clear that such games are SO different (IMHO) from "Real" money games - especially at the real money higher stakes. Although there seems to me some similarity between "Play" money games and Low-Limit "Real" money.

Apart from getting a feel for the basic operation of Hold'em, will I really learn anything much on the play money tables?? It's a great way to practice fold, fold, fold... and to watch the maniacs etc... But I'm thinking that the real way to learn is to at least play real money low-limit.

I've got the knack of the play money NL tables - I just fold, fold, fold - and then step out pretty agressively when the top hole cards fall my way and the flop betters my hand - whilst keeping a close eye on the maniacs. They still have a pop at me with rubbish - even though I've been sitting there for 15-20 mins just folding!!! Boring - but I'm always up, and I never go all-in, or call to the all-in bait from the maniacs, as they could just be lucky that time.

But I guess there is a good arguement for saying that one should totally master play money before moving onto real money. But the tatics are so different - as I watch real money games. I would say I much prefer NL ring games. Tourneys and Limit not really matches my style at the present.

The freerolls are different again of course - even more manic at the outset.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Welcome to the Boards!

Just a few tips- all just my opinion, so treat with caution!

- Play money: Yes you "can" learn something here, but nothing you can't learn at the nano's, for a very modest intitial deposit.
-Pick either LImit or No-Limit and stick with one while you are learning. That's just my approach. There ARE fundamental differences between the two games. Why confuse yourself trying to learn both at the same time?
-Read All the Beginners FAQ's on the site. Either hunt around the various forums, or follow all my "Essential Reading" Links, on my site. (You'll end up at the same places!)
-Use the nano limits as an initial learning ground.
-DON'T get sucked into the mis-informed view that "They don't play 'proper' poker at the nano limits, so it's a waste of time" You WANT to play against people who "don't play properly". The worse their play, the more money you make. Period.
-Get yourself "Small Stakes Holdem" book (IF you are going to leanr LIMIT) and join the newly formed "Study Group" for that book, here on 2+2.

Hope some of this is of use.
Regards,
Ian.
www.PokerPlan.net