View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Razz past and present

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we can understand his tight play a little better by considering that he's figuring his odds to call a single raise in the 15/30 game as 28:15 and in the 30/60 games as 70:30. This is only a 25% increase, but it's also mathematically wrong since he completely neglects the bring-in in the 30/60 game! The actual pot odds are 80:30 in the 30/60 game for a 43% increase over the 15/30 game. It's a natural mistake though since he makes the same error on p. 107 in claiming that an ante steal at 30/60 is risking $30 to win $40 (should be $50), and again on p. 112 when calculating the odds to defend your bring-in. Here he states that when you're only getting 2.8:1 in the 15/30 game, you'd be correct to fold 100% of the time against a probable steal but the 7:2 odds you get in the 30/60 game could swing it to a call if you hold the best possible hole cards. Except that your pot odds in this spot are actually 4:1 in the 30/60 game. Might this change the correct strategy a little?

[/ QUOTE ]

You lost me here, you will have to explain your point a bit better. Sounds like more implied odds junk to me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry TT, I thought YOU were being facetious when you said you were lost on this comment. It's just simple arithmetic: In the 30/60 game, the 8 antes total $40 in a full ring and the bring-in is another $10 on top. So if one player completes in front of you the pot odds are ($40+$10+$30) to $30 for you to call, or 80:30. Sklansky calculated them as 70:30 which leads to me believe he forgot about the bring-in. The pot odds in this spot in the 15/30 game are 28:15 (which he got right), so by the calculation in SOR the pot odds in the 30/60 games are 25% greater than in the 15/30 game and he explains how to adjust for that. In reality though, the 80:30 pot odds are 43% greater that the odds in the 15/30 game. My question was whether or not this error could affect the correct strategy or the range of hands you should call with in this spot?

The error originates on p. 107 when figuring the odds you are getting to try to steal the ante, and is also repeated on p. 112 when figuring the odds to defend your bring in against a player in the steal position. To defend against a single player in the 15/30 game you're getting 2.8:1 odds, but in the 30/60 game the odds are 4:1 (not 7:2 as calculated in SOR). Some structures, like the Stars 1/2 tables, have bring-ins 1/2 the size of the SB and offer a massive 4.6:1 to defend, but Sklansky couldn't have known that then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis, I understand now. I have my opinion, but I'd like to hear David's opinion since it's his work. I suggest you post that last two paragraphs in the Sklanksy Special Forum and hope he addresses the question. If he does not I will respond in 1 week (someone kick me if I don't). IMHO although you haven't shown a scenario where the book is antiquated by the modern game, you have however shown a flaw in the book - and a good one. Yet its not as it seems, hence why David should respond.

nice catch!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]