View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: how do they know I\'m an american?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The crux of my question is, it obviously isn't illeagle for a canadian to play on PartyPoker while he vacations in Vegas or Vail, Colorado. Or to do neteller transactions in these locations to/from the sites.

[/ QUOTE ]
Citizenship is irrelevant.

Physical location is what matters. Three people are in a house in Washington State playing online poker. "Albert" owns and lives in the house. "Ben" is visiting from California. "Claude" is a Frenchman on vacation from his home in Paris. All three are committing a felony.

Meanwhile "Doug" is also in the house. He's not playing but he's online at several U.S.-friendly poker sites making deposits from his U.S. bank account. Tomorrow Doug is going on vacation to Canada where he will play online poker at all these sites. Doug has not violated any U.S. law and neither have the sites that accepted his depoits. The UIGEA does not apply because the deposits are not being used to violate state or Federal gambling laws.

In practice gaming sites are banning U.S. residents and also blocking U.S. IP addresses. By this means they are avoiding customers likely to gamble from the U.S. and also trying to prevent customers from gambling while in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much, this is informative. Still, being ignorant, I need a little clarification.

I wasn't aware that playing online poker by itself was a felony (assuming UB, bodog, FT, PS). Did you mean if they were playing on US-banned sites, or did I miss poker being a felony?

Secondly, my aunt in Ontario plays online poker for play money. Lets say she opened an online account at neteller and signed up at party poker. She's playing on her sony laptop at starbux in ontario. Legal, and party poker works. She crosses the bridge to Detroit, goes to the local starbux. Now its a different IP address, does party immeadiately recognize this and the site not load? It seems to me that once you get the software installed on your harddrive it would work basically anywhere. Correct me if not.