View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: citanul cleaning bbv/b4l discussion/rants

Sanchez,

I think its disengenuous to couch the recent changes made to the language standards of BBV as "battling the forces of evil (racism bigotry ignorance) if they are really nothing more than "the admins dont want you to use these words cause it might cost mason some money". It both implicitly labels those who argue against the changes as being bigots and makes some, which i believe to be, inherently flawed assumptions, some of which i pointed out in my post.

You seem to be taking the position that "its their forum, they can do what they want" which is, of course completely true. However, there is a form of social contract at work between those in control of the forums and those using them. A perfect example is the use of nsfw tags and links for certain images. This is a process that is almost universally agreed to be a fair imposition on the posting abilities of the users, since many nsfw images are EXTREMELY offensive, and possible consequences from having such content splashed on your monitor can be dire.

These latest changes, however, are, in the opinion of many posters, a serious imposition on their enjoyment of the forums. You, and others, are certainly correct that i can use many words besides nigga, gay, or retarded. The reason i come to these forums, though, is for my personal enjoyment. I enjoy the personality i deploy through the posts i make, and enjoy the communication that goes on between myself and other posters. If my enjoyment is being curtailed, i am going to lose my enjoyment of these boards, and that upsets me. Now certainly if such curtailments are neccesary because my words are promoting hatred, then that seems a fair trade off, but if, as i have asserted, these accusations of bigotry and racism prove foundless, then my enjoyment of the boards has been curtailed just so that the owners can make more money, and citanul doesnt have to "hear" my naughty language.

pjn