View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Chief Illiniwek\'s Last Dance

[ QUOTE ]
I'm somewhat flabbergasted that it's taken this long to realize that treating people who white america [censored] gennocided and marginiziled this way isn't ok. Hi, we stole your land, we killed a fuckload of you, and we're also going to jack your culture and make it a halftime show?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm...that wasn't the situation at all with the Illini. They don't fit the prototypical native american/white immigrant relationships.
The Illini had a very good working relationship with the first white settlers to the region. So much so, that the Illini took up arms with the whites to combat other local indian nations. Those other indian nations pretty much exterminated the Illini.
Am I wrong to thus feel the Illini are much more a part of my history than some of the tribal councils calling for Chief Illiniwek's removal?
Side note: a large majority of native-americans were not against indian names for sporting teams in the last major poll. This is a very small, activist minority pushing their interpretation of history upon the rest.