View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Fundamental Theorem of Poker vs. Pot Odds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have exactly enough outs to the nut hand to call a pot sized bet. The problem is that both you and your opponent have $200 left. If you call this bet on the flop, then the pot will be $300. If the board blanks, then your opponent surely is going to be $100 all in and you will be forced to call $100 into a $500 pot and will surely have to do this.

If there isn't enough money left for a full PSB on the next street (turn), where you will be pot committed, how can you just call on the flop? It seems that you don't have enough pot equity to push all in on the flop, but folding would be a "mistake".

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, to understand your example I need to resolve the ambiguity in the bolded sentence. Are you saying that 2:1 is sufficient with one card to come, or with two cards to come?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying that after the flop, you have can call exactly a PSB to make your hand on the TURN, so in your parlance your 2:1 odds are with one card to come. This is just thinking street to street, not the hand as a whole. (I know this is wrong, I just want to know the literature that deals with it..and the effective odds section doesn't seem to really cover this example explicitly. I'm pretty sure I read about this somewhere before.)