View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is so interesting and confusing to me. I have no idea what a >$75/plate restaurant must be like. When I've taken my gf to what is considered the nicest restaurant in La Crosse, the total bill including tip probably ends up around $75. You could order the most expensive appetizer, entree, and dessert in that place and it would still be under $75.

[/ QUOTE ]

even in Boston, an expensive city by most standards, I think there are 3 places where food could cost me > $75 (unless I was really trying to get to $75, or ordering a 5 lb lobster or something). but I'm not really sure, b/c while I go out often, it's not to top tier places.

not included in the above are any of the best steakhouses, where I would normally spend like $40 per entree some split apps for less than $60pp.

according to Zagat, here are the top 10 restuarants in Boston

Oishii
L'Espalier
Aujourd'hui
No. 9 Park
Hamersley's Bistro
Blue Ginger
Mistral
Icarus
Il Capriccio
Oleana

I've been to all of these except:

L'Espalier
Aujourd'hui
No. 9 Park
Il Capriccio

of which the first 3 probably fit into > $75 pp IF you go with the chefs tasting menus, otherwise not. none of the others do, they are more like $35 - $45 entrees + $15 apps, as are No. 9 Park and the other 2 I presume. I normally don't order dessert, and if I did would split it with someone else.

but anyways to your point Meb, I don't think there are many of these places outside of NYC, SF, LA, and mb Chicago I guess. eating a la Carte in Boston, I could easily do < $75 anywhere in the city.