View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Why do they get to me sometimes and not others?

[ QUOTE ]
If I were you I would just shut the chat off for the next X number of times you play (not because it will keep you off tilt if somebody is doing something you don't like, but to desocialize yourself from the other players and learn to see them as your opponents not your friends). Once you do this, I think you'll find it far easier to deal with all types of people because you'll simply feel so far removed that you won't be compelled to judge people, you will merely observe. I only play cash games, and when I buy in, I no longer consider my buy in my money. Of course I can pick it up and leave with it anytime I want to, but once I buy in I believe that money belongs to the table, as if I've loaned it to an unreliable friend and there is no guarantee I'll see it again. This may seem unrelated, but my point is when some person showing bluffs and calling me a fish wins a hand from me, I don't care because I'm so disconnected from both them and whatever I'm playing for. If you are really serious about improving your play you need to take this step. Best of luck.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this notion of being disconnected.I think that will be the easiest way to become more mentally tough. And the thing is - I do this successfully in my day job. I think the difference is that I'm confident in my abilities in my job, and therefore am not affected by somebody else's behaviour. I'm not nearly as confident at poker (yet!) so I fall for the old "have to prove myself" trap.

Ok - chat off.