View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Re: does consolidation result in tougher games!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From my experience in the industry, I'd say that dropping HUDBots from 8 tables to 4 would boost the sites' profit in over 90% of the cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate on your industry experience and what about it indicates that reducing # of tables will increase profit. It seems very counter intuitive to me that running fewer games will result in more rake. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday I may get motivated and write an essay for the magazine about why this is, but at this time, I'll just say that in addition to Bluff's post (I see you guys basically posted at the same time) that it's basically a question of, do you want more games and rake now, or would you like fewer games now, but have them go on a longer period of time? My stance is that in the vast majority of cases, the sites can improve their bottom line by reducing the number of tables that can be played. Give up some profit now, to make it back over a longer period of time. (I'm aware of the time value of money, and that good players do other things besides just play, like start games/keep short ones going, and table coach/berate, but I think discussion of them is outside the scope of this post.)

As for my XP in the industry, I founded BonusWhores.com and have done consulting for both poker sites, and other large affiliates. I've followed the industry more or less obsessively since sometime in early 2002 (although I've slacked a bit lately since stepping away from BW.)