View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

[ QUOTE ]
Don't make my mate feel like an idiot because he doesn't want red wine even if it is the obvious choice with that particular course. It's surprising hom many high-end places that fails at this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most companies and most people fail at this in every business. 90% of all sales people forgets that if the customer would know everything about the available products and solutions there wouldn't be any need for sales people at all. Just by understanding what you write above you can make success in almost any kind of business. It is a bit of a derail maybe but it shows how important it is. I go to visit a customer, I can't identify him but was a large company by Norwegian standard, I inherited this customer from a sales person who had quited to start working for a competitor. So on our first meeting he says after 5 minutes: "How good you got rid of that guy. I ordered a system and when it was installed it did not work as I wanted. He told me I should have known that. I should know? Wtf should I know? What was he supposed to know then? I wouldn't have bought anything at all from you anymore if he would still work for you and I will never buy anything from them." It is the same with high end-restaurants, if you would know as much about food and wine and cooking as they do, you would probably eat at home instead, so they should be happy the bigger the gap between them and you in competence is and thus treat the guy who knows nothing about wine at all the best of their guests, since it is towards him they add most value.