View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

firstyearclay,
n9ne is very good. However if you think it's food is a 10 you have not been to a 10 restaurant. I went this summer and it was good, however the steak was clearly a second tier steak. By saying second tier it isn't in my pantheon of steaks it sounds like an insult, but I am a steak snob.

Also from my very limited dining experience in Vegas.
Picasso > n9ne > Prime

Speaking of steak, tonight I'm going to Harbour 60 in Toronto which is in my opinion the best steak I have ever had. It is an incredible restuarant, great food, great value and great service.

Here is the menu note there is sound so turn it off before you open it http://www.harboursixty.com/ I have been about half a dozen times and have probably seen almost everything on their dinner menu, except some of the fish and non-steaks. I also don't eat shellfish because I'm kosher, but I hear good things. The problem with the lamb, veal, etc. is that the steak is so good I can never talk myself out of ordering it.

Also El Diablo mentioned Nobu earlier. During the PCA I went twice during the week is was very good, although again since I don't eat shellfish my dining experience was definitely not optimal.

Speaking of service at the PCA I went out to dinner a couple times with a group of like 20 2p2ers. We went to one restuarant which was good, but not particularly high scale, while there the manager refused to let us all sit together because it was restaurant policy that groups of X would need to be split up. The restaurant was fairly empty and we were in a side room all by ourselves and they refused to let us sit together despite us talking to the manager being very accommodating etc. etc.

Later in the week we went to a more upscale place in the resort. All the servers were very friendly and accommodating and nice even though half of us had been drinking since that afternoon. By the time the meal was over the restaurant was empty and the waiters didn't act snobby or dickish because he were playing credit card roulette and acting like idiots they remained just as courteous.

It seems that a good litmus test for service is how they treat younger people. I have heard lots of stories of servers acting like complete dicks to kids my age at high class restaurants, at good restaurants they won't care unless we are disrupting other individuals.

Note: This post is kind of rambly and disoriented so if some of the stuff might not make sense.