View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

I spent 20 years in the restaurant industry. I am one picky bastard. I am personally drawn to country atmosphere. I have not enjoyed my New York 'fine' dining experiences.

The White Barn Inn in Kennebunk Maine. The finest atmosphere ever. The barn must be 150 years old. Beautiful and unusual antiques adorn the lofts. Lots of wood everywhere. The tables are well placed for privacy, the lighting perfect. Too many places either require a lantern to read the menu or sunglasses. The owner pays attention to detail like no other restaurant I have been to.
The owner instructs his staff that the customer experience is theater. Perfect awareness of customer status, while absolutely non-intrusive. The pacing is perfect, always. The simultaneous service is a nice touch. As with all first class dining, you leave feeling satisfied, not full.

The Jackson House in Woodstock Vermont. The finest meal ever. I chose the 13 course chefs' something or other. ($105).
The dining room manager explained each course as it came to the table. He had to. There were some strange things I was sure I was not going to like.....unusual combinations that just didn't sound right( I wish I could recall details, but it was a couple years ago). Every dish was incredible, the blending of ingredients not usually associated were just plain great. Again, the portions were such that we left satisfied, not full.

The Longhorn Steak House, everywhere. They have a fried cheesecake with ice cream, whipped cream, strawberries...JHC what a tasty artery clogger.