View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

7ontheline,

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoyed Charlie Trotter's, although it was so hyped that when I went maybe I it couldn't quite meet expectations. That said, it was an excellent meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my first trip to Trotter's suffered a little from the same problem. I also agree that the space lacks a certain amount of happiness and brightness. When I fineshed my meals at Trotter's, I was still a bit hungry, not much, just a little. I thought for the most part the service was absolutely amazing, the kitchen is great - and a fine example of Trotter's OCDish behavior. The problem I had with Trotter's was that there was almost never enough of anything. The idea of having many many bites of lots of stuff, each good, is great, but at this restaurant I kept finding myself wishing that there had been say, 6 bites of veal instead of 2 or 1. Everything was obvoiusly excellent, and everything tasted great (very few risks taken) but it lacked a certain amount of wow as compared to the price, notoriety, etc. I think I've got the menu from Trotter's somewhere, but I doubt I can find it =(

[ QUOTE ]
I preferred Tru though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wholeheartedly agree. Like you said, the food at Trotter's is light. The food at Tru is the opposite. If you were impressed by the kitchen at Trotter's, the kitchen at Tru will blow you away - probably 10 times as large, with a staging area the same size as Trotter's' kitchen. On my first visit I sat at the Chef's table, which is in back of the kitchen, and can seat up to I think 6. (Trotter's has a Kitchen table that seats up to 4 I believe.) There's more courses in the Kitchen, and everything is rich, and the portions tend not to be small. I found myself near struggling by the end, but that was was I think because we were taking full advantage of their offer to eat as much dessert as we wanted. I've got a copy of the menu from Tru in my office, and I'll probably write it up when I get a chance. I just think people should know that they're going to be in a bit of trouble for finishing their 12 course meal when the 3rd course rolls out and it's a pint of lobster rissoto.

I have to say that I disagree about Spiaggia, but I can understand, definitely. I think that Italian is probably the cuisine that it's hardest to "feel" the difference between medium-high-end and high-end. Once you've got good handmade pasta and fresh ingredients well prepared, the differences are definitely subtle when existent. If you were mostly unhappy with the price, I definitely suggest the cafe next door which is much less expensive, and excellent food.

I've been to alinea, was incredibly impressed, and will post a review later in the thread when I get time. I'll say now that it was almost definitely the best meal I've ever eaten.