View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Cookbook Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I've mostly stopped using cookbooks, because the internet is just a more functional resource.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I wholly agree with this. I've gone through a bit of a cycle, actually, where I used cookbooks, stopped and am now back.

Part of getting recipes off the internet is that they are often simplified or just very basic. Which is ok, but not only are you missing something more complicated but you're also missing some of the process explanation and context.

If you're not into straight cookbooks, I'd suggest Culinary Artistry ... amazon link.

It's not a cookbook, but a discussion of flavor pairing, dish creation and menu construction. It's more of a reference book than a cookbook or textbook; it's really an excellent book to have on hand.

And along the lines of something someone suggested earlier (Inn at Little Washington), I've really enjoyed "Happy In The Kitchen" by Michel Richard .... amazon link.

The dishes will make you rethink a lot of process, and though they're supposedly "easy to follow for the home cook" I found them almost depressing (in a good way). They really demonstrate the type of cooking and prep that goes into a 4-star professional establishment. It's amazing. And Richard comes right out and says "the gulf between home cooks and professional chefs has never been larger." If you've ever eaten at one of Richard's restaurants, it's an experience. I ate at Citronelle a while back and put together a sort of mini-review of the place ... Citronelle review.

Amazing - His book discusses the "mosaic" dish I ordered and thought was so amazing. Probably the most visually arresting dish I've ever had -- and it was born from a need to use scrap. That blows me away.