View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Home cash game strategy

This is the type of game where you only need to win a few pots to show a profit because the pots are always so large by your description.

I would lay fairly loose preflop. As long as the stacks are at 200BB you can call with hands like Axs, suited connectorsl and pocket pairs. I would also put a premium on position. Then I would tighten up considerably post flop. It sounds like these are the kind of guys who are going to stick around and throw chips in the pot. If you don't hit the flop hard, then just fold and move on. If you caught a piece of the flop, then with your good position, you can perhaps stick around if you have good pot odds.

As well, this is the sort of game where I would be raising preflop (or calling a raise preflop with other callers) and then moving all-in on the flop. For example, if you had the nut flush draw, then you only need two callers to your all-in to make this the right play. On a ragged board, push in with your overpairs. Push with sets.

Forget about slowplaying or bluffing. Concentrate on getting it all-in with the best of it. This also includes preflop. When you do get your premium hand, depending on your position, make a play that will end up with all your chips in the pot.

So in general, I would suggest loose passive preflop (for speculative hands) and tight aggressive post flop. When you get a hand like 1010 or JJ preflop, there's not much point in being aggressive. You should just play these for set value.

If you want to practice these techniques, go to a NL freeroll tournament or a $1 rebuy tourney. The players in these tourneys act much the same way as you have described.

I would sum up the two keys to success here as playing position and making the best decisions on the flop whether to continue or not. Your variance will be high but you will win big pots.