View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: My Thoughts on Poker (long but good)

I'm going to bump this because I have something to add.

I was looking at my stats and realized since I won the second chance I basically have broke even for the last 5 months or so. Now I consider myself to be a very good player so why am I breaking even over such a long period of time?

Well this is how I have played a lot of cash games, 2/4 and 3/6 and I am up a lot of money in them and this is where most of my profits are coming from. However most of these profits have been lost in the following three things. HU sngs, MTTS, and PLO. Now I do not consider myself to be a bad player at any of these. MTTS I have proven over a fairly large sample I am a good player and HU sngs I have not played that many of but I have a made a lot of money in HU cash and am probably +ev in them. PLO I am just learning but I still feel like I am probably decent at the game and am a marginal winner/ break even.

Now how could I lose so much in money these games when I am probably +ev or neutral ev in all of them. The answer has nothing to do with variance but it has a lot to do with my mindset when playing them. Frequently I'll be bored and I don't feel like starting up a session so I'll just open up some of these and donk around without really much care and end up losing. Basically I'm just gambling, like a gambler who goes to the casion with hopes of beating roulette but more often than not he comes home down money.

I explained this to AMT on AIM and I think it's a pretty good analogy so I'll use it again here.

In the video game GTA when you play you'll either do missions and try and beat the game or you'll donk around and start going around killing everyone. Now both of them are fun but going around killing everyone is often more fun. However the problem with doing this in poker is you are playing with real money and can end up losing a lot of money . While doing it in a video game has no negative result.

Now ultimately this comes down to me playing when I'm bored so I'll give everyone a last piece of advice.

Never ever play when you don't feel like playing