View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Join this club, get extra credit. (a question of ethics)

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that going to the club meetings would increase your knowledge of the course material. It is totally acceptable for the teacher to award extra credit for those who do extra things to learn about the subject matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a reasonable conclusion. Although I am not sure about this. Since this teacher in particular has weird parameters for a her class. But that is probably her intention.

[ QUOTE ]

Would you find it unethical if the club had no dues?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not mind it as much. Although it would still be a little fishy.

[ QUOTE ]
The club needs $5 a person dues for it to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have mentioned this in the OP. If you have a campus group with more than 10 members and are not politically centered you can get a thousand dollars for your club. I know of some clubs that get much more. So her club is not going to die off without these dues. Also she is known by others on the campus for being extremely cheap when dealing with people to coordinate her events. Asking for services for free and stuff. I do understand that these $5 dues are essentially irrelevant to a tenured(I assumed) professor. Which is what makes it weird and confusing.

Also I know she has at least two classes with a total of approximately 150-200 students combined.

I have a meeting(for scheduling not related to this) with my history adviser today and I think I will bring this up.