View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Time to write off public education?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As we all know, the US public school system is, by and large, a disgrace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to 45 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean 52 years and 9 months ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was dating the decline to the change in educational philosophy that occured starting in the late 60s. I do have a frame of reference here, even though I was young. Radical change was evident in the very early 70s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but by 'radical change in educational philosophy', you mean something like "when they let the dark-skinned children start going to school with white children", right?

And by 'evident in the early 70s', I assume that's just code for "when they started busing in the dark-skinned children from the inner cities to where the white people live".

Just want to make sure I'm not off the mark here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So many public school apologists are quick to jump to the 'racism' ad hominem in defense of attacks on their cherished institution. In fact, it's so common and laughable that is' a caricature. There's a well-worn joke that goes "what is the definition of a racist? Someone who is winning an argument against a liberal".

Because obviously, if someone is unhappy with the public school institution as it stands then the only explanation can be that they are racist.

It is disappointing to see you drop to that level. You are usually quite cogent and reasonable.

natedogg