View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Time to write off public education?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really think HS students should often consider a vocational program rather than regular HS. Of course the government monopoly on education would have to be removed too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what? At least in some states, high school students can opt out of traditional high schools and attend vocational public schools. I grew up in the suburban Boston area, and I knew a good number of my peers chose to go here instead of traditional public school ('here' = a fully state-funded, public vocational high school).

So, if the implication here is that states don't fund vocational high school options, that's patently false.

Not only that, I'm certainly that in many if not all states, students can attend private, accredited vocational schools in lieu of attending traditional high schools if they so choose, even if their state/school district doesn't fund them.

So, yeah, I'm not sure anything has to change for high school students to be able to attend vocational programs if they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

ojc,

I just re-read your post and realize that I may have misunderstood. If you read it one way, it seems to claim something like "high school students should consider vocational programs -- and this could happen if the government monopoly on education were removed". This is the way I first interpreted your post and my response is an answer to that.

Upon reflection, I've discovered that your post could also mean something like "one way to improve the education of young people in the US is for students/their parents/community leaders/etc. to seriously consider vocational programs as a viable and more preferable option more often than they currently do. And also, another way to improve American education is to remove the government monopoly".

If the latter is what you were intending to say, ignore my response quoted above.