View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Stud variance :(

Not saying this is your problem, but....

A whole month of winnings gone in one session? Likely you are quitting with very small wins, 'locking it up' for the day. While this may ensure you a decent nights sleep, it might, I say might, give you a false sense of how you are really doing overall.

The fact you win (for example, say) 85% of the time is meaningless. BB/100 over time will tell you the truth.

I personally find myself playing poorly while getting shown gut shot after gut shot after rolled down 3's, though I usually take a break and pump myself back up. It is easy while losing to say, just 1 more street, after all, whats one more sb at this point.

All those bets add up though.

As Sklansky points out, playing in this fashion means you are theoretically quitting while playing well and/or in a good game, while putting in longer sessions while playing not as well in a (usually) tougher game.

Even while losing in a wild game, it's easy to find excuses to play extra hands. "I'm going to play these pocket 6's because if I hit I'm going to win a big pot." Good bye 2 or 3 more bets.

Now you might say, "None of that applies to me, I played really well, and they just sucked out."

If thats true, great, just keep playing solid poker and things will even out.

Just food for thought.