View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Top Set : bet flop or c/r flop or c/r turn?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop is totally standard although a 3bet is fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don`t care if it is std or not. I just think it is a bad play.
1) Villain has a very wide opening range from the Co. Why would we give him a cheap look at the flop when we are so far ahead and have a hand that may run into trouble post.
2) When we see a flop and hit a set we want a decent chance to get all our money in. This just won`t work very often in a <10BB pot oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're building a pot OOP where almost any flop will be tough to play. 99 isn't that much better than something like 66 imo. they play very similar post flop. i just dont think its profitable to build a pot up OOP with a hand that unless we flop a set with we can almost never be too comfortable with. if CO is anyway decent he will float you enough to make this a tough hand to play profitably.

i don't mind a 3bet per se, and i often will do just that depending on image, CO's stats etc, i think its good to mix it up and keeps CO honest, but to say its a bad play to never 3bet 99 from the bb is...well, wrong.

EDIT: btw your number 2 point is way off. we want a raised pot in general so that when we flop a set we have a decent chance to play for stacks. 3betting is unneccesary from the point of view of wanting to stack him by flopping a set.

when i 3bet here its with the intention of repping a huge hand, and making him fold preflop or on the flop to a cbet. its not to build a pot for the times when we do flop a set. the pot will already be big enough to get it all in over 3 streets from his initial open raise