View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Learning to fold...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of you are wrong. I think the standard line for a set here is to play it fast and get it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we are not wrong here. Remember, this is 1/2 NL. Many of the players are donks, and more often then not, will slow play their sets until the turn. At higher stakes games, players play their sets faster, at the lower stakes, many players try to get "cute".

Also, look at the bet sizes. Why would some one with a set bet more than twice the pot? If he has a set he wants action, he doesn't want to push someone out of the pot. He wants callers that don't have the odds to draw. Betting the pot would be sufficient here.

this bet just smells like a drawing hand here, i.e. AK, AQ suited.

Regardless, I think we're all in agreement, the OP should "call" here. I'm interested to see what actually happened, and what the raiser turned over.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things. Players at 1/2 on average aren't nearly as bad as they used to be (6+ months ago). Disregarding that, people fast play here all the time because of the way you're thinking. "Why would he do this with a set? it has to be a draw. So I call!". Also a pot sized raise on the flop is committing your stack anyway so essentially it's exactly the same as a shove. Pot is $85 so you re-raise his 35 to 120? You've already got $24 invested preflop so you'd have $55 behind after you did this. No matter what your hand is it has to go in on any turn anyway presuming he calls.