View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
How reliable is internet access in Phuket? What would be the best way for two farang to get a house/apartment without getting ripped off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a month in two condos with very reliable high speed DSL access. One even with wireless so I could use my laptop on the patio overlooking the fishing boats coming in during sunset at Kamala Beach. Power outages were more common than the net being down.

My family rented through ads in the Phuket Gazette, from other foreigners. Prices ranged, but there are deals to be had. The chances of getting ripped off are pretty slim as there is a pretty big rental market there and word gets round fast, I imagine. We honestly had more issues with the owners of a place we rented in Hawaii a month later.

The internet was set up by the condo complex itself at one place, and by the owners of the other condo we were at. Unlimited at both. We even met a 30-something guy who was doing 'day trading' (code for poker?) in the evenings after spear fishing, sailing and snorkelling all day...so the connection had to have been pretty solid.