View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Poker is a game of accidents

Great post Jason.

I have encountered numerous players who i believe have been incredibly successful by "accident". For the most part it maddens me to no end. One example would be one of the very top SNG players back in the party days. He had an insane amount of sucess but if you tried to talk theory with him the reasons behind his plays made absolutely no sense. Obviously they were still good plays but for totally different reasons than he thought.

Another example would be a guy I met early on in my college career. I was very excited to meet someone who was so into poker but after talking to him for a few minutes and hearing about "moving up to where they respect his raises" (seriously!) and such, it became really obvious that he did not understand very basic things about poker theory. Last I talked to him he was playing 200/400 on stars and he still thinks that ppl like sklanksy dont know what they are talking about.

Anyways, i know stories like that werent really the point of this thread but i cant wait to hear others' thoughts on this topic.