View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Rebuys for home Tournaments - YES or NO

OP, rebuys are awesome! The crowd that gathers at my place every few weeks is a large range of talent as well as financial committment to playing cards. Many are just there for the social part.

We usually spread a $20 buy in w/ a reduced rebuy like $15 or so. $5 bounty is also in play. Even that is a bit steep for the low range players. Rebuys from them are little. We had 3-4 rebuys and 6 add-ons for that game w/ an attendence of 15.

Edit: Rebuys and add-ons are the same as starting stack of T5000. First BB is 200.

However, my friend and I decided to try something different for last weekend. We decided to lower the buy in to $10 to encourage the lower stakes players to show up and possibly rebuy.

The result was pretty great. Only 9 players showed and I adjusted the blind schedule accordingly. We really got the best of both worlds as the blinds were near perfectly smooth, delaying the 'push' game, yet we had 11 rebuys during our 5 round rebuy period. We also had 5 add-ons. The best number we've had yet, pushing the total pot to $250 for 9 players. Bounties aren't even included in that.

Also, we made the rebuy rounds 30 minutes (were 25) and the rounds after the break 20 minutes (also 25 previously).

We were worried that the small buy in was going to create a meager pot, but surprisingly, the game seemed to loosen up and we had several big pots and there was really no hemming or hawing over whether people were going to rebuy.

It was great. Almost all of our tourneis will be rebuy tournies as they are just more fun and give the casual player the opportunity to play more when they bust out early because they play every hand. If they aren't in the game, they can't be as social and will leave, perhaps not returning if they didn't enjoy themselves.

We will however be having a big game soon (like our WSOP or something) w/ deep stacks and slow blinds for a long afternoon to evening game for about $40, no rebuys.