View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Fundraiser question

I am hosting a fundraiser in Colorado for a taekwondo school parent organization (we are a 501(c)3 corp). Colorado law states that either all of the buy-in must be paid out or none of the buy-in can be paid out and that no prizes can be distributed based on the outcome of the event.

Therefore, every participant is making a charitable donation of $30 to play with $30 re-buys for the first hour. Every participant must be 18 or older. We will be giving away door prizes and every participant will have equal chances of winning a door prize regardless of how well they play in the tournament and regardless of the number of rebuys.

It severely limits the number of people willing to play. Most of the guys from my home game balked at first. I was finally able to get a few of them to sign up by using a guilt trip - something like "come on guys, I spend alot of time and money hosting our regular game, we use my chips, my tables and my house and I never ask for anything in return. Well, now I'm asking you to donate just $30 and play in a charity event instead of our regular game. Don't worry, this is just a once a year deal." That got a few players and a few who just donated.

The event is scheduled for Feb 24th. I'll let you know how it works out.