View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Mid-Stage MTT (sorry if there\'s a post about this before)

[ QUOTE ]

Ok here it is,
Early rounds after the first break (when the blinds are 50/100 at bodog), say I have $2700ish in chips, so my M is just bellow 20. What I've read, I should play more hands, than i'd play when my M is above 20, shift-up the gears to agresive style (which will open with any ace, any two face cards, any pairs, and any suited connectors down to 43o). BUT I've lost the ability to play small pairs and suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats right. The reason is with these hands you are either going to have a poor hand (say 66 on an AJ4 flop) or a monster (say 66 on an AK6 flop). Most of the time you are going to lose money, but occasionally you'll win big. The problem is, if you haven't got a big stack you won't win enough to make up for all the times you lose.

[ QUOTE ]

And in his book, Harrington also wrote that agresive style doesnt care much about position. This is confused me the most.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is mostly about open-pushing with low cards. Position doesn't matter so much as there won't be any post-flop play where position is important. You want to consider the number of players still to act when you raise though.

[ QUOTE ]

Say you have $2900 in chips when the blinds are 50/100, UTG folds, your on 2nd post with A6o, you raised makin it 300 to go, and some one behind you with $1200 move all in, you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the position part of it. If you raise with trash (and A6 is here) then you should be doing it from later position because there are fewer player who need to fold for you to pick up the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]

And left you with $2600 in chips, several hands later you do the same thing with KTo also out of position, and the other small stack thinks "I've seen this before, maybe I can make him fold too!".

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think the small stack is trying it on, you can call here (and K10 isn't too bad because it plays against 99-66 much better than A6). Again though this comes down to the fact that you need to be raising with better hands from early position.

[ QUOTE ]

Now you are wounded, the blinds are up to 75/150 and you had to sit back waiting for a premium hands... (not to mention someone behind you are trapping with A's, because he knows what you are doing!)

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't want to be sitting back too much here. You need to steal a few blinds to get back to where you were. Bear in mind your table image, and if you have <10BB, just push.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe, some one can give me their hand requirement when they are playin in the yellow and orange zone.... It'll be such a big help for me.. hehe...

[/ QUOTE ]

So many factors ...

[ QUOTE ]

And in the red zone, that's when the confusion mounting!
Harrington wrote that T6o is a strong enough hand to push. I dont like that idea... Even when I have the first in vigorish.

[/ QUOTE ]

The alternative is to be blinded away. You need to push with any 1/2 decent cards to pick the blinds up. There's no point just waiting for AA/KK/QQ only to see everyone fold when you do get them. What then?