View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Another Workout Thread (5 questions) Help me out

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question I'll tack on here. I started working out again about 2-3 weeks ago. It's been a while and I'm fairly out of shape (too thin, not too fat). I've been taking it easy and just doing a couple sets for each muscle and trying not to train too hard. I'm just trying to get my self in shape so I don't injure myself when I get more serious later. At this stage, do I really need to be eating a bunch of extra protein?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good approach. Usually I won't ramp up the intensity until the 3rd week or so because, to be honest, 1 or 2 sets (including warmup sets) is usually enough to get you nice and sore for the next couple days.

But yes, try to get more protein intake. It helps with recovery and it'll help with strength gains. If you haven't altered your diet yet, just try to cut back on some refined carbs (sugars, high fructose corn syrup) and add more meat. Milk is probably the easiest way to do this without going the protein powder route, if you can tolerate the lactose. The next step would be to alter your diet a bit more radically, which might involve supplements (and definitely at the very least a post-workout protein shake).