Thread: Cigar Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I have always been curious what the difference is between the different sizes. Obviously, the longer cigars will smoke longer, but is there a taste difference or anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are taste differences, but honestly I don't think my pallet is complex or experienced enough to be able to tell the difference in a blind taste-test.

First, like you said, would be the length of time it takes to smoke. That, to me, is the most important part about why I choose one size over another. If I've got the time to enjoy a nice Churchill, I'm going to consider it. But, if it's freaking freezing outside and I'm not going to survive longer than a half hour, maybe I'll just get through two-thirds of a Robusto. I'm definitely not going to be lighting up anything longer than a corona if I'm just going to end up bored halfway through or frozen to death.

Second, would be the ring-guage. I prefer a ring-guage in the 50s. It just feels better in the fingers, and has a draw that I prefer. People will tell you that a fatter cigar will have a much different flavor than a thinner one because of the different ratio of wrapper to filler, but I haven't really noticed all that much of a difference.

Third would be the length. This obviously has a lot to do with the time it takes to smoke, but can also make a big difference in the complexity of the cigar. The longer a cigar is, the more different unique leaves are going to be in the filler (assuming it's a long-filler premium cigar). So, the more combinations of burning leaves it's going to have throughout the cigar. A really complex, well-blended cigar is going to change flavor every half-inch or so because of this. If that's something you really enjoy, maybe a longer cigar will be better for you. For me, I don't mind a consistant flavor in my cigar. I enjoy complex ones, but only when I've really got the time and energy to sit down and focus ONLY on the cigar. If I'm drinking, playing cards, playing golf, etc... I don't care too much if it's going to be changing flavors every five minutes.

So... that's my take on it.
First priority is time on-hand. (Length)
Second is feel in-hand. (Ring-guage)
Third is levels of complexity. (a combination).

In my experience, a robusto is the right size for me in just about every situation. It's long/wide enough to get some complex flavors going. It's got a nice wide easy draw on it. It's a short enough smoke that I'm not going to spend all evening on one cigar. If I've got extra time I'll have two or three robustos instead of having one huge cigar.