Thread: AKKQ versus LAG
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Re: AKKQ versus LAG

I don't know about minraising with this hand up front. It doesn't really seem to do anything for you. If you're the type of player that hates playing good hands out of position and wants to hit flops before committing anything, then limp. Personally, I'd raise the pot here (but then I do that with a lot of hands) position or no. Your hand simply figures to be better than the hands that will call.

On the flop I'd lead out for the pot after the two checks. On a 23T flop, I think the only hand you can be reasonably worried about is a set of tens, although this would be more true if you had raised PF. Worrying about anything else from the LAG other than the remote possibility of AAxx seems like monsters under the bed. I don't know if people are limping/calling any raise with any pair at the .50 game. Letting the LAG take the betting lead seems like a mistake here because now you have no idea where you're at in the hand. At least if you lead out for the pot, he (and everyone else) either folds and you win a small pot with a marginal hand, or if he calls or raises you have more info and a better feel and can get away from the hand more cheaply if you wish. Knowing whether or not he'll raise you with the nut flush draw only or 45xx or whatever is important, too. Alternatively you can use your rocky image to check raise him on that flop -- you should have some FE and as you intimated, you think your club draw is live as are your 2 K outs so you don't really mind a call. I actually think the flop is where you might have taken a different approach; the turn call isn't one I'd make a lot of the time vs. a decent player, but vs. a LAG it's probably not that terrible since you have 12 probable good outs (9 flush cards, 3 jacks) and potentially even two Ks. LAGs do get dealt good hands on occasion, it's true, but because of the way you played on the flop, I think you begrudgingly have to call this turn. River lead is fine, I think.